ENSAE Paris and CREST are currently inviting applications for a position of Assistant (or Associate) Professor in Sociology.
ENSAE Paris is one of the leading French Grande Écoles specialized in Economics, Data Science, Quantitative Social Sciences, Finance and Actuarial Science. CREST (Center for Research in Economics and Statistics) is the associated interdisciplinary center (joint with CNRS and Ecole Polytechnique) for research on quantitative methods applied to the social sciences. Both institutions are part of the Institut Polytechnique de Paris, a new cluster of graduate schools of engineering, located on the campus of Ecole Polytechnique in the south of Paris.
Sociologists at ENSAE Paris-CREST use empirical data and quantitative methods to study questions of stratification and social inequality. We have a strong expertise in statistical methodology and a rich practice with national and international datasets and new forms of data. Our current work addresses questions of social mobility and inequality; demography, gender and the family; lifestyles and cultural practices; economic sociology; migration and immigration; health inequalities; social science genomics; political practices; computational social sciences. The research group has a proactive visiting scholar policy and a research seminar with regular participation from international scholars. We teach courses in the ENSAE curriculum and in the Master program in Quantitative Sociology and Demography. We have a dynamic group of doctoral students who participate actively in the daily life and research activities of the CREST sociology team.
Description of position
Date of appointment: beginning of 2022 (negotiable).
– PhD in Sociology or a related discipline (at the time of appointment);
– Solid general knowledge in sociology;
– Proficiency in quantitative methods;
– Strong publication record or potential;
– Proficiency in French;
– Proficiency or working knowledge in English;
– Participation in international academic networks.
The position has no citizenship requirement. Contract type (Assistant or Associate) and salary depend on the diplomas, experience and research potential of the successful candidate. At the Assistant Professor level the tenure-track position is for a six-year period (with mid-term evaluation) and with a possibility for tenure (Associate Professor). Assistant Professors are expected to teach at least one course at the undergraduate level and one course at the Master level. Associate Professors typically teach one more advanced course.
Applicants should submit (email@example.com) the following documents (in English, PDF format):
– Curriculum vitae;
– Research statement of experience and interests (3 pages);
– Teaching statement of experience and interests (1 page);
– Names and corresponding information of three individuals willing to provide letters of reference.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2021
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview at ENSAE Paris-CREST.
– Ivaylo D. Petev, head of CREST Sociology: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Arnak Dalalyan, director of CREST: email@example.com
– Laurent Davezies, head of graduate studies at ENSAE Paris: firstname.lastname@example.org